- 1 cup old-fashioned quick cooking oats (steel cut oats work well also)
- 2 cups milk or water ( I prefer to use water)
- 1/4 cup brown sugar
- 1 tablespoon butter, melted (optional)
- 1/4 teaspoon salt (optional)
- 1/2 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1 cup finely chopped apple
- 1/2 cup raisins and/or dates
- 1/2 cup chopped walnuts or almonds ( pecans can also be used)
Spray the inside of the crock pot with an non-stick spray. Throw all ingredients inside and mix well. Cover and cook on "warm" for 8-9 hours. 30 minutes prior to serving, turn crock pot to "low". Stir before serving. Makes approximately 7 servings.
*Originally, I tried this recipe on "low" for 8-9 hours only to discover my crock pot was just too hot.
And, you can always experiment with different fruits as well. I recently used dried blueberries instead of raisins and it was delicious!